DAEWOORIFLEPARTS.COM Forum Index DAEWOORIFLEPARTS.COM
A FORUM FOR FANS OF THE DAEWOO RIFLE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review of DRP 90 degree selector
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DAEWOORIFLEPARTS.COM Forum Index -> GENERAL DAEWOO RIFLE DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Review of DRP 90 degree selector Reply with quote

Like many, I hated the Daewoo selector. On my pre-bans, I had to rotate 180 deg to fire and on the post-bans I not only had to do that, but go in the wrong direction as well. So, like many, I wished for the day a 90 degree selector was available.

Lo and behold two different makers now offer them. DRP and AGP. I ordered both to compare for real. So this isn't "I heard from this guy on the net" crap. I ordered both, received both and use both and here's the review.

I ordered both units from the internet off the respective websites. I did not go through any dealer, etc. It was "factory direct" in both cases. I ordered them the same day, one after the other. While on the surface the AGP unit was slightly cheaper, they tacked on a "shipping and handling" fee, which pushed the price up to that of the DRP. DRP used a flat rate USPS box with no hidden charges. In the end, the cost was within a couple bucks of each other.

Both parts arrived the same day. The AGP was alone in a padded envelope, the DRP was in the small flat-rate box. The DRP selector also came with a nice letter from DRP and detailed, easy to follow instructions.

Both parts are quality manufacture. The AGP is basically a copy of the AR-15 selector made to fit a Daewoo. The DRP is basically a copy of the original Daewoo selector, only with the added plus of being reversible. Since one of my sons is left-handed, that alone sold me on the DRP. Now while a copy of the AR-15 selector might sound more desireable to those of us that have AR-15's the fact is it's not quite long enough. While both are fairly easy to switch to the "fire" position, the shorter length of the AGP unit made it harder for me to put the safety on with just using the firing hand. Too be sure, it's alot better than the OEM one, just not as easy to use as the DRP one.

Installation was straight forward and easy. I had to take the finnish off the DRP unit at the cylinder for it to fit the way I wanted. To do that I held some fine sandpaper in one hand, and spun the selector a couple of times in the sandpaper with the other hand. That's all there was to it.

Both units were fitted to a pre-ban Max-II and a post-ban DR-200 to see what the difference might be, if any. There wasn't. I left the AGP unit in the DR to see if I could get used to it, since I shoot the DR more, but result has been the oposite. It just reinforced my opinion that it's too short.

Now everyone has different preferences, use things different, have different sized thumbs, etc. so the AGP might work for others better than the DRP. All I can say is both were high quality, but I preferred the DRP selector.

Yeah, I know this is the DRP board, but everything added up to my decision to go with the DRP in the rest of my Daewoos. From no "handling" charge, to the extras like the letter, instructions, etc that came with it, to the reversible design and better ergonomics led me to that conclusion.
dawg180

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good review!

Dawg
K3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. great review.

2. I forgot to put the window decals in the box? shame on me. Next time you buy something remind me and I'll toss in a few extras.

3. a little oil on the selector shaft, then rotating it during installation will burnish down the park and it'll turn smooth, I've not had to sand any of them. I simply install them this way and with a few turns they are turning like they were installed from the factory.

Feel free to put it on FAL Files "daewoo forum" (and I'd appreciate a link to here or a mention that they're on sale for 40 bucks plus postage.)

I'm really pleased you like the part. If I could only sell enough to pay for them, life would be good. The AGP is an OK design and they're good folks. They also have the added advantage of their own CNC machines, which means they were able to program the part from a solid piece of bar, wasting a lot of material in the process. But when one is designing, programming and doing the machine ops, they can afford to build parts like that.

I simply cannot. The DRP selector is made from 3 different components, a lathe part, a combination mill/lathe part and a waterjetted part. All indexed and welded together by hand, then dressed down...blasted and parked.

I had to have them done as cheaply as possible, which necessitated MUCH more work on my end. Work that is basically a "labor of love", like this site, like the DRP store, like a lot of things related to the Woo.

Thanks for helping ease the pain a bit, Guys. I would've built these things anyway, for myself, but it's nice to have the opportunity to share my ideas for improving an already excellent rifle with fellow Cultists.

D.

K3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should've gotten one of these in the box too.

Once again, I apologize for forgetting.

D.

Ross

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K3 wrote:
You should've gotten one of these in the box too.

Once again, I apologize for forgetting.

D.

They may have been in the box, but in my rush to play with my new toy...uh, selector, I probably missed them. IMO all those little things add up in showing the care invovled.
ftierson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review, Ross...

I probably should have read this before committing to buy a couple of these, but I know that Derek wouldn't be making and selling them it they weren't good.

Forrest
ftierson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that I never came back and commented on these here. I did receive two of these (and quickly, too) from Derek a while back. I immediately installed one of them on a DR200, which was a snap. This selector looks good and functions even better.

I haven't yet gotten around to pulling my K2 out of the safe to replace the selector on it too. Soon...

Forrest
Jo6pak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent product.
If you don't have one yet, get one ASAP
Berd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo6pak wrote:
Excellent product.
If you don't have one yet, get one ASAP

And as a bonus they are reversible, so if you shoot with the wrong....er I mean left hand like I do you can have your safety where you can use it.
K3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only got 5 left, and after this I'm going to explore options in plastic.

The steel ones are too expensive to make.

D.

Berd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K3 wrote:
I've only got 5 left, and after this I'm going to explore options in plastic.

Ninja Plastic?
K3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.

Reversable too. They said they might be able to knock out 100 for just a few bucks each.

D.

Berd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K3 wrote:
Yep.

Reversable too. They said they might be able to knock out 100 for just a few bucks each.

D.

Sweet, did you ask em about the old ACE style grips? I hear s0b3 has a molder doing some up, I'm the list for those, but you never know I may just have to have another woo Laughing
K3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Ninja plastic guys would do them MUCH cheaper than 35 per unit.

You know I make Jack and Shit off of these parts. It's a labor of Love.

D.

Berd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K3 wrote:
I think the Ninja plastic guys would do them MUCH cheaper than 35 per unit.

You know I make Jack and Shit off of these parts. It's a labor of Love.

D.

Yeah and you make even less when I come over cause I start handing out your beer Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DAEWOORIFLEPARTS.COM Forum Index -> GENERAL DAEWOO RIFLE DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: